Monday, March 24, 2008

Is that an orange in your woods?


Oh and an lime and and apple too? Why yes, yes indeed. See I hate to waste things so if I have produce that goes bad instead of throwing it away, I chuck it into the woods behind our house. I think of it as my offering to the animals. I know many people would say I should compost, but lets face it composting stinks and I am not into things that smell. As a a mom there is enough assault on your olfactory sense everyday and I am not adding to it by choice. And truth be told there is something liberating about hurling a semi soft apple 15 yds at a tree and watching it pulverized into juicy bits by your own brute force, (or a shrivelled lime or a orange that is rock hard or any past prime fruit for that matter but, I do have my limits, I definitely draw the line at cucumbers turned watery).
This has always been a secret behavior something I do when my kids are napping or playing in another room but the other week my son caught me headed toward the back deck with some fruit in a mesh bag. I told him what I was doing and being the lover of nature that he is was in full support and asked to be the fruit tosser. I unselfishly agreed to allow my son a turn as the fruit chucker. Well 15 minutes later I noticed something in the middle of the backyard-- there in the middle of the backyard was the whole bag of fruit- see picture to prove it. No son, not the whole bag at once, bag included. Not in the middle of the grass where the lawnmower will choke on it, and the neighbors will think us trashy--- one by one in the woods. There is an art to this. Ahh, there are many things I must still teach my young sons.

don't you love my playbook arrows...

4 comments:

Chellie said...

That is funny! You've taught them well... this one just fell through the cracks! :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
LL said...

YOU MAKE ME LAUGH! good stuff.

Lei said...

I would think it therapeutic,as well! I'd LOVE to hurl a dozen or so apples at a tree some days! LOL!